The Association of Registered Nurses of BC

Internationally Educated Nurses (IEN)

Obtaining Registration with the College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia (CRNBC)

If you are an internationally educated nurse seeking (IEN) registration in B.C, you must:
  1. Apply to the National Nursing Assessment Service (NNAS)
  2. Meet CRNBC's English requirements
  3. Apply for registration with CRNBC (3-5 days after you receive your NNAS report)
  4. Complete a Substantially Equivalent Competency (SEC) Assessment

  • The CRNBC accepts two tests, the IELTS and CELBAN
  • The CRNBC also holds regular information sessions for IENs regarding how to get registered, English requirements and the national nursing exam. For information session dates, please click here
For more information on how to become a registrant with the College (CRNBC), please click here.

Pre-Arrival Support Services for IENS (PASS)

The Pre-Arrival Supports and Services Program offers supports and services to help shorten the time to it takes to obtain professional registration and employment from time of arrival in Canada. In order to enroll in PASS, IENs must provide proof of graduation from a nursing school, as well as a letter of immigration confirmation from the Government of Canada.

PASS offers a variety of supports and services such has case management, educational resources, and mentorship. For more information, please click here.

Education Programs for IENs

Preparation for English Tests

CELBAN (Canadian English Language Assessment for Nurses) IELTS (International English Language Testing System)